Microsoft has released Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 19023 (20H1) to Insiders in the Fast ring, which will test a new “optional” update experience for Windows drivers.
If you are a Windows Insider in the Fast ring, you can update to the Insider Preview Build 19023 by going into Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update and then checking for new updates.
With this release, Microsoft warns that there is an issue that prevents the Windows Sandbox and Windows Defender Application Guard from working and if you use these features, you should skip this build.
We’ve identified an issue preventing Sandbox and WDAG from working. If you rely on these features, you may consider pausing updates before taking this build. We know what’s causing this issue, and we’re working hard to get another flight out with the fix as quickly as possible.
To see the full release notes and fixes for this Windows 10 insider build, you can read the blog post.
The most notable changes found in this new build released to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring are detailed below.
New optional updates experience
In September we reported that Microsoft will be modifying the Windows Update experience so that optional updates, such as drivers, would appear in their own Windows Update settings section.
In a new experiment running through November 25th, 2019, PCs running 20H1 Build 18980 and newer will not automatically download and install driver updates that are labeled as “optional”.
Instead users will find these drivers under the new Settings > Windows Update > Optional Updates screen shown below.
General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- We resolved an issue where, if a build attempted to download and install before you had completed the first log in of a prior install (such as Build 19013), you would experience a 2-hour window before you could install this new build.
- We fixed an issue resulting in a lag processing input when running a video fullscreen.
- We fixed an issue where the quick action section in the Action Center was slightly off-center in the last few builds.
- We fixed an issue that could result in Cortana’s voice activation setting switching from on back to off after explorer.exe restarted, or if you rebooted your PC.
- Just a reminder for Insiders, that as of the previous flight, based on feedback, we’ve decided to remove the downloads folder from Disk Cleanup. If you liked having this option, it’s still available via Storage Settings.
- We’ve identified an issue preventing Sandbox and WDAG from working. If you rely on these features, you may consider pausing updates before taking this build. We know what’s causing this issue, and we’re working hard to get another flight out with the fix as quickly as possible.
- BattlEye and Microsoft have found incompatibility issues due to changes in the operating system between some Insider Preview builds and certain versions of BattlEye anti-cheat software. To safeguard Insiders who might have these versions installed on their PC, we have applied a compatibility hold on these devices from being offered affected builds of Windows Insider Preview. See this article for details.
- We’ve heard that Settings still isn’t available outside of launching via the URI (ms-settings:) for some Insiders and are investigating.
- Some Insiders are reporting that after successfully installing printer drivers from the Optional Updates section, the same driver is still showing as available for install. We’re looking into the issue.
- We’re investigating reports that certain fingerprint readers are no longer working as of Build 19013. If you’re impacted, for now you’ll need to log in with a password instead–appreciate your patience.